FL Studio is a very popular and powerful music production software (DAW, Digital Audio Workstation – voted as best DAW by MusicRadar users in 2011 and 2012) for a professional or home studio.
FL Studio has everything you need in one package to record, edit, sequence, arrange, mix and master your own professional quality music. Image-Line has spent over 16 years for developing the FL Studio (and continues to do so) so you can be sure it’s highly optimized for music production work! With FL Studio, you’ll make your own high quality original music in no time.
Whether you’re looking for a flexible beat making software to produce hip hop, rap, r&b, house, electro house, drum and bass, techno, minimal techno, trance, progressive trance, dubstep, ambient, downtempo or whatever type of music or a tool to produce soundtracks, soundscapes, fx or you want to record, edit, mix, master or practically do anything that has something to do with audio, FL Studio is definitely worth checking out.
FL Studio is the fastest way from your brain to your speakers
FL Studio has all the goods built-in:
- Best Piano Roll ever for sequencing
- Step sequencer for building drum sequences efficiently
- Logical Playlist where you can arrange your music
- Performance mode to trigger Playlist Clips live using a mouse, touch screen, typing keyboard or MIDI controller
- Audio editor Edison with a wide range of audio editing tools
- Edit, pitch-correct, time-stretch, beat-detect and slice audio
- Multi-track audio & MIDI recording
- Sample browser for quick access to WAV, AIFF, REX & MP3 files
- Nice set of a virtual instruments
- Signal processing effects such as reverbs, delays, phasers, flangers, compressors, limiter, parametric equalizers, distortion fx’s and a LOT more…
- Slicex for precise slicing & re-arranging samples & loops
- Automate interface and plugin parameters
- Easy to use Sampler
- Hosting support for synthesizer and effect plugins (32 & 64 bit VST)
- Record and play MIDI input from controllers
- Connect as a VSTi in other DAWs or through ReWire
- And the list goes on and on and on…
FL Studio 12 has been just released and here’s some notable new features:
- Updated Editions – FL Studio Fruity edition gains Automation Clips. Producer edition gains Sytrus & Maximus. Signature Bundle gains Harmless, Newtone, Gross Beat and Pitcher. Changes also apply retroactively for existing customers.
- Vectorial UI – FL Studio is now 100% vectorial allowing it to be used on 4, 5 or even 8K monitors with pin-sharp fidelity.
- Mixer – Completely redesigned mixer, dynamically resizable with 6 layout styles plus 3-user configurable docking panels (left, centre and right) for track management. Multi-fader selection and adjustment. Multi-touch support. 10 FX slots per track. Many new multi-track routing automated options. Enhanced grouping and submix functions. The dedicated ‘Send’ channels have been replaced with general purpose send tracks and added to the overall track pool.
- Updated plugins – 3xOSC, Edison, Formula Controller, Peak Controller, Keyboard Controller gain vectorial UIs. Envelope Controller (8 articulators, Mod X/Y envelopes & vectorial UI), Send (can now send to any mixer track & vectorial UI), Hardcore (new tube distortion effect & convolution based cabinet simulation), Patcher (Plugins open outside patcher. Auto patcherizing of existing plugins & multi-touch support). Fruity Convolver new impulse library by Soundiron. Finally, the Channel Settings are now integrated into the Wrapper. ZGameEditor Visualizer – Loads all popular video formats and 4K rendering.
- Piano roll – Time markers added for labelling and looping purposes. Auto-zoom can now be switched off in the General Settings. Stamp tool replaces chord tool and allows users to click in chords from a selector. Macro to find overlapping notes.
- Playlist – Drop multiple stems or Audio Clips on the Playlist from any Windows file browser.
- Browser – Category tabs (Files, Plugins and Current Project). Right-click delete option for content.
- Multi-touch support – Multi-touch has been extended to Mixer functions, Channel settings and Control Surface.
Personally, I’ve been using FL Studio for over ten years now. I’ve also worked with Cubase, Reason, Sonar, Ableton Live, Orion and there’s no doubt they’re all good, but IMHO there’s couple of things that separates FL Studio from the rest and two of the most notable ones are the sequencing features (Piano Roll) which is simply unbeatable and the workflow. It’s just so quick and easy to go in-depth with the sequencing and compose some really complex melodies, build the drum grooves, eq, compress and add all the other necessary effects for a complete song. FL Studio is always ready for start making music right away.
Lot of well known producers use FL Studio – either as their main DAW or for making beats and interesting tweak. You may have heard of such talents as AVICII (Tim Berg), Martin Garrix, Adam Szabo, Seven Lions, Feed Me, Afrojack, Porter Robinson, EPHIXA, Mehran Abbasi, Boi-1da, Lex Luger, Madeon, Basshunter, 9th Wonder, DeadMau5, AudioJack, Jay Frog, Mike Oldfield, Steve Duda, etc… They are all FL Studio power users and there’s tons of more.
“Can’t believe the depth of Image-Line’s FL10. Literally crushes all other DAWs in sequencing. It’s like a generative step sequencer. Mental.” – by BT via Twitter
Check the video below for a quick intro to FL Studio:
And a demo song:
Also, check some of my tutorials for FL Studio to get the idea of some of it’s features.
Moreover, here’s couple of example tracks made with FL Studio – just to give you a little idea what you can do with it:
When you buy FL Studio (depending on the edition), you’ll get the main software, great set of plugin instruments, effects and sounds to get you started immediately. And what’s really cool is that you get FREE UPDATES FOR LIFE! You’ll also get access to a very active user forum where you can stay directly in contact with the developers and other FL Studio users.
Download the FL Studio DEMO to test it out.
If you buy FL Studio through here, you’ll get 10% off the regular price, so the final price would be:
- For FL Studio Fruity Edition $89
- For FL Studio Producer Edition $179 (recommended!)
- For FL Studio Signature Bundle $269 (recommended!)
- For FL Studio + ALL Plugins Bundle $841.36 (recommended!)
(Yes, these are all my affiliate links meaning I get a few percents from each sale, but remember that you get 10% off the regular price when you buy via my affiliate links and also, you support my website as part of the money goes for paying the server bills).