I had an opportunity to check out “LMMS: A Complete Guide to Dance Music Production“. It’s a complete and in-depth book for anyone interested getting into electronic dance music production. It is written by a David Earl (music composer, producer and performer).
In this book, David is using LMMS (Linux Multimedia Studio, free DAW available for Windows, Linux and OS X) to walk you through the lessons, but even so, the music production process, methods, philosophies and ideas applies to pretty much any DAW so it’s all useful information whatever music software you decide to use.
What kind of subjects does the book cover? Everything starting from computer system requirements and accessories, choosing right kind of audio gear, room treatment, installing and setting up LMMS, making the music step-by-step (beat making, basslines, backgrounds, automation, effects, arrangement, etc), music theory, harmony, song structure, mixing, mastering, getting your music “out there” and tons of more… EVERYTHING is actually covered.
What I really liked in the book is that the reader won’t be left hanging in any “study session”. Everything is explained very clearly, thoroughly and without fluff. I like the step-by-step and learn by doing -approach. The explanation is also logical: for each subject there’s a “Time for action” -section which teaches you exactly what/how to do it (with images) and after that, there’s a short summary “What just happened?” to outline the study material. There’s also quizzes which helps the reader to think and assimilate the lessons.
Does this book help you to start making electronic dance music? Definitely. And the best thing is, you can use a completely free software for it or apply the knowledge to the DAW you are currently using.
Here’s some details about the book:
– Written by David Earl
– 384 pages with images
– Available as physical book or e-book (.PDF, .mobi, .epub)
– Published by Packt Publishing
– Price: Print + free eBook + free PacktLib access to the book €34.99 / eBook €16.79
– Buy here
But WAIT: as you probably noticed, I mentioned GIVEAWAY in the post title…? Yes here’s the deal: with the permission of Packt Publishing, I’m arranging a simple draw and the winner will get the LMMS: A Complete Guide To Dance Music Production .PDF for free!
Here’s how you enter:
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and put “dance music guide giveaway” to the subject line (don’t worry, your email address will not be shared with any 3rd parties). Also, you don’t have to put anything to the body of the email, just an empty email with a subject line will do. You can also leave your name if you wan’t, but nickname will also do.
- The winner will be randomly picked among the entrants using the RandomPicker.com drawing tool.
- The draw is valid till 7 January 2013.
- Winners will be announced here and in my Facebook page. I will also send an email to the winner.
Good luck! 😎